Wednesday, March 23, 2011

My anniversary, dancing in the minefields

Today is my anniversary. Nine years ago today on March 23, 2002, Stephanie and I got married. Many of you know the story of how God brought us back together. I will save that story for a later time. I will say a few things though looking back over the 9 years. Those of you who have been married for decades probably just laughed at that saying "ha, he thinks he knows something after 9 years". Yes, it's only been 9, but there have been lessons learned, and I will continue to learn more.

Marriage is not primarily about us, it's about God.

It's about loving someone who doesn't deserve to be loved.

It's about forgiving someone who has sinned against you, and will continue to sin against you.

It is only as I realize that I am the one who doesn't deserve to be loved and have sinned not only against Stephanie, but against God that I am able to properly love and forgive her.

In the Bible, God talks about the church (the body of believers, not the building) being the "bride" of Christ. He is the bridegroom who has perfectly loved his bride, and will continue to do so. That love cost Him his life.

Yes, God cares deeply about our marriage, but there is more at stake than that.

Like I said, Marriage is not about us, it's about God. We love each other and thank God for our marriage but realize that after this life, there will only be a marriage between the real bridegroom (Jesus) and his bride.

While Marriage is not primarily about us, it is important to us.

We enjoy spending time together, living life together, celebrating successes together and comforting each other when we fail or suffer loss. We don't do this as much as we should, but are learning. We are looking forward to going camping together this weekend to celebrate our 9 years. Hopefully that will involve tennis, fishing, and a hike, the weather suggests that might not happen though.

I love this song from Andrew Peterson. Yes, there are minefields, but it's worth it. I look forward to the many years to come.

Stephanie, as the song says "I will walk with you in the shadow lands, till the shadow disappears"!

No comments:

Post a Comment