Friday, March 18, 2011

Taste 10k

Recently I competed in the Taste 10k in Athens. One of my resolutions was to complete a 10k race and this one looked great. It was close to the house, on a Saturday, and was early enough that I could still enjoy the day with the family. The weather was great, a little chilly at first, but an excellent day to run. Having never ran in a 10k, only 5k's, I really didn't know how to pace myself. I had ran at the gym and had been increasing my distances on the weekends, but those were just runs, not races.

This picture was the starting line. There were 279 runners that finished the race that day. 299 were registered, so 20 either didn't complete it or didn't show up. Too bad, they paid for the registration but didn't get the t-shirt or after race goodies.




This picture is around the 2 mile mark. I'm the third one back in the picture. Like I said earlier, I really didn't know how to pace myself so after a while I just found a comfortable, but challenging pace with those around me and maintained it. The first mile or two I ran pretty quick, because it was mostly level and downhill. I usually start toward the middle and work my way to the front. This was done the same way until after the 2-3 mile mark.




Finally, the finish line. I finished 43rd overall and 3rd in my age group with a time of 46:34. I was happy to see that finish line!


Here's some of the goodies that I was talking about. Good muffins, good coffee, and good fruit. I actually went over for a snack a little later and all the bananas were gone. I heard this conversation:

Runner girl: Do you have any bananas?
Volunteer at the table: No, we had some earlier, guess you should've ran faster.

I couldn't believe this girl had just ran 6.2 miles in a race and this dude said that. He got reprimanded by his assistant, also a female. :)



Here's my picture of the 30-34 age group. I have no idea where the other guy went to. The prize was a little wine glass. Just what I wanted ;)


I was extremely pleased with the results. I didn't plan on placing in my age group and I didn't plan on my time being that good either.

Next, a half-marathon in April?

3 comments:

  1. What the guy said to that female runner was hilarious. I bet he was waiting all day to use that line with someone. And she just happened to be the one who wanted something they had run out of. By the way, the blog looks great. This is one of the best blogger templates I've seen in a while. You just need to get some more stuff in your sidebar, like some links to blogs and other websites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks D.R.
    I've thought about adding some stuff, but didn't want to load it up. I think I'll eventually add some. Sign up as a follower and you'll be updated on what's going on. It's going to be a mix of family and faith items. Not too deep, but not too shallow, except for the "This and That" sections which mostly are breaks for laughter.

    ReplyDelete