Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Chick Fil-a 5k, Winder

On May 7th, Our family ran in the Chick-fil-a 5k race in Winder. This was the first race that all four of us entered. A family at our church told us about the event. They had 4 of their kids (yes, they have more than 4, but that's another story) running and we decided that because they offered a family rate that it was something for us to do as well. Everything was going good until race day. I had picked up the race packets with our shirts and numbes the day before and everything was a go. Then came race morning. Katelyn decided she didn't want to run. She stayed in a bad mood until we got to the starting line, and even then she wasn't real pleased.

We met up with the other family and chatted before the race. The weather was great and although the crowd was the largest of the Chick-fil-a series (about 6 races or so around the Athens area), it wasn't too crowded.

I'll tell of my race first, and then of everyone else.

I finished first in my age class with a time of 22 min 31 sec, finishing 13th overall. I still have my goal to finish under 22 minutes this year. Those wearing gps watches said that the actual distance was 3.25 miles instead of 3.1 miles, so I guess according to that I would have made my goal time, but until it's recorded by the race officials, it won't count as having made the goal. There was a long slow grade hill coming back that made it difficult to finish strong. I was still very happy to finish first in my group though. Oh and I also won a drawing for a water bottle.

Here I am crossing the finish line and some pics of the award presentation and after. For some reason some of the pics are small, we tried to resize them, but couldn't sorry.








Justin did well in the race with a finish of 25 min 55 seconds, finishing 47th overall. He avoided twisting his ankle this time, like the last race. His mp3 player died halfway through the race though. He plans to run on the Cross Country team in the fall. His time is pretty good for not having run much. He now has a good pair or running shoes which will help too. Here he is crossing the finish line.


Now onto Katelyn and Stephanie. Well, while Katelyn's mood got a little better, her running did not. The picture below shows Katelyn running. Stephanie said that she didn't run much more than that. Actually for some of it she didn't even walk, Stephanie carried her. To finish the race she was promised McDonalds and an ice cream. You can see by the picture on Stephanie's face below that she was ready for the race to end. We decided that unless Katelyn begs us to run the next race then she'll be sitting it out. The funny thing was that when Katelyn crossed the line she said "Daddy, I beat Mommy". I think she beat her not only in the race but also mentally. I won't give there time, but like in the Easter Bunny run, they didn't finish last. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment