Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Truth from an Atheist

I found this statement in a blog and thought I'd post it on here. This is from an Atheist named Rick Gervaise:

"My point being, I’m saying God doesn’t exist. I’m not saying faith doesn’t exist. I know faith exists. I see it all the time. But believing in something doesn’t make it true. Hoping that something is true doesn’t make it true. The existence of God is not subjective. He either exists or he doesn’t. It’s not a matter of opinion. You can have your own opinions. But you can’t have your own facts."


I fully agree with the majority of what this guy is saying. I think the latter half of the statement is something that Atheists and Christians can and should agree on.

Just because you believe in something doesn't mean that it's true. I can believe that if I can jump off a building and fly, but that doesn't mean that I can. What you place your belief in, the object of the faith (belief) matters. I agree with the guy that God either exists or He doesn't. It's not a matter of opinion. The same logic can be applied to his position. He can believe that God doesn't exist and won't hold him accountable for not believing in Him if he wants to, but that doesn't mean he won't.

With so many people today saying "my God wouldn't" or "my God is" I think it's important to step back and make sure we know what we're saying. Just like the existence of God is not subjective, that is "if he exists" so is the person of God "who he is". We need to be careful that we don't make God into someone we want him to be and therefore serve our created idol, instead we need to humble ourselves and submit to who He says He is as revealed in His Word.

Imagine that an Atheist and myself agreeing. I have a feeling he would disagree with my a lot of what I said though. :)

2 comments: